But I am happy that I finished this table. I found this little dresser through Freecycle. It came with a beautiful bevilled mirror but unfortunately when my husband went to collect the dresser he cracked the right side of the mirror :(
Rather than spend money replacing the right mirror, I decided to make the dresser into a side/hall table. A few months ago when I visited Stepney Salvage (a great - but very expensive salvage store), I saw a white table with black and white diamonds on the top. Mum and I thought it was breathtaking. But with the $600 or so pricetag it came with, it took my breath away again but for the wrong reason. It inspired me to try it myself. I only did the one lot of diamonds rather than have it as both black and white diamonds for fear of it being too much. What do you think? Leave as is or add the second lot?
I lined the drawers with some fabric that I picked up cheap at Spotlight. I love the idea of lining drawers with fabric and was inspired by Chrissie at Chrissie's Collections. She paints the inside of her drawers a different colour and lines them with gorgeous fabric. I think it really completes the project and makes it look so much more expensive. Pop over to Chrissie's blog and have a look at the beautiful furniture she has made over.
Ignore the skirting board at the bottom. The wall needs painting after renovation. I wonder if my husband knows a good painter - seeing as HE IS ONE!!!! Grrrrr...
Anyways, back to the table. Here is a little guide from start to finish as far as the stencilling goes. I lined it up using my husband's big spirit level/ruler. Then using painter's tape I taped it up.
With a small brush I then painted along the insides of the tape with a little white paint to seal the edges to fill any gaps in the tape and prevent leakage of the black.
Not everyone's cup of tea, and not as big and full on with the diamonds as the $600 table I saw, but I really like it and it looks great in my hall. I already had the paint, the dresser was free, handles $11 and fabric $6. So the whole project cost me $17! Hooray!